Friday, May 06, 2005

Accountability

The very word sends waves of rebellion through me, but without it pounds of excess calories settle into a game of ring around the middle erasing every trace of my waistline. Other uneeded calories form a shelf at the top of my hips gathering as spectators to watch the ring of stubborn belly fat gaining victory over my meager efforts to lose weight.

What's the answer? You know it. Accountability. (Sigh). The first step is to admit you are overeating or eating unhealthy foods. The second is to plan to do something about it. I already mentioned getting together with a small group but that happens once a week. During the week, I'm writing down every calorie that goes into my mouth.

The day before I started, I gorged myself on high-fat and sugar-laden foods. That evening I read Romans 7:15. "For that which I am doing, I do not understand, for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate."

In my heart I desired to eat healthy, but that's not what I was practicing. The following morning I made a menu plan to stay within 1,000-1,200 calories. For the next six weeks these calories will not include sugar, white flour, pasta, potatoes or snack food.

Having guidelines provides accountability. Writing down what I eat helps me "practice" eating right and to see the reality of what I'm putting in my mouth each day. The calorie range prevents me from going the opposite direction and starving myself too (another unhealthy choice).

Today is day five and my energy level and mental alterness are on the increase. It's much more satisfying to practice "what I would like to do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home