Saturday, October 28, 2006

NaNoWriMo, Stress and Eating

I happened to be in a chat for writers at Inspired Author last night. Most of us plan to join the NaNoWriMo race this year. For some this is the first time, others like myself are Veterans. The one thing we all have in common is the pressure and stress that comes when tackling a new, large project.

As we discussed tips on what works when taking this project on, the conversation turned to food. People joked about coffee and chocolate, and someone mentioned that they buy more junk food in November that any other month.

Why do I bring this up? Well, it goes back to mood. How does mood affect our eating? Stress affects mood, and mood affects our eating. What's the answer? Make a plan.

I know November will be a bit intense. I know that I'll be writing 50,000 words on top of my other writing and editing responsibilities--BUT--I have a plan. Stay within my calories (1,000-1,200) and exercise at more days than I don't each week. It's what I've been doing. It's a priority. Learning to live moderately is something that needs to happen no matter how busy I get or how overwhelmed I feel.

Donna Sundblad, author of Pumping Your Muse and
Windwalker

2 Comments:

Blogger benning said...

Those caloric amounts would leave me skeletal! I have found that using lettuce leaves in place of bread slices makes for some crunchy sandwiches, and lessens the calories. Just roll the leaves like tortillas in a burrito. And munch!

But, you know me! Gotta have my M&Ms!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Yeah, yeah...men who want to lose need to up calorie counts to 1,300-1,500. This way, if I want I can figure M & M's into my calories. Last time I looked, a small bag of M & M's at the candy counter (a serving) is 230 calories. The peanut type is 250. But, I do like them. Mmmmmm.

For now, I need to get rid of this weight and I'd rather have ice cream than M & M's.

Donna

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home