Thursday, February 11, 2010

One of Those Days


Have you ever had one of those days where things get off on the wrong foot? I experienced that Tuesday and then it bled over to Wednesday. It started with oversleeping which I haven't done in like 20 years. I shuffled into the kitchen to find I hadn't set the delay on the coffee maker...just little things that put me off kilter. As the day went on, things continued to go that way. Plus the gray overcast sky was enough to send me into a funk.

No matter how you feel, as a freelance writer, you still have work to get done and deadlines to meet. I plugged away at things to do and ran into "technical difficulties. " Something that should have taken me about 30 minutes or so took about 4 hours. My frustration climbed. When the phone rang and my daughter asked, "How are things going?" I shared a piece of my reality and told her I was getting hungry and wanted to get this project done before lunch...and technology wasn't cooperating.

She said, "You better eat before you do something you regret."

Her words struck me. I hadn't even thought of turning to food to make me feel better. The 21 Day Challenge has really developed a new habit. I don't eat between meals, so I hadn't even considered it.

When I hung up the phone, I decided to eat lunch. And then before I went back to work, I went for a walk...in the rain. It wasn't a hard rain, but a light rain that fell off and on. Decided I could go for a mile and see how it went. I walked for an hour! My feet were wet, but it was a nice, quiet, contemplative walk. When I returned to the computer, I worked things out and eventually got caught up to where I needed to be with my work load.

I share this slice of life, because not turning to food is a huge thing for me...a former binge eater. We really can develop new habits and break old ones!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Miles said...

Hey Donna,
That is wonderful that you have completely changed your thinking and lifestyle. I was in a funk also. Tired of winter, miss excercising outdoors and ready to be back out on the lake Parasailing but for now I will just have to settle for memories. As far as my funk goes I decided to start a new Cardio workout this week I had read about, its called HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training)you may have heard about it. Anyway you walk for 3-4 minutes and then you sprint for 30-45 seconds as fast and hard as you can(they say you should run like you are running for your life). Then you walk for 3-4 minutes and then sprint again and you repeat the process for 40-45 minutes. Wow it is kicking my you know what. It is a nice change and feels great that I can actually do a workout like that now. This new workout has helped me out of my funk. Hopefully your Tech problems are gone and your week is getting better. Glad to hear food has not become that crutch we used to lean on. Have a wonderful weekend and a Happy Valentines Day. Talk to you soon.
Take Care,
Miles

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your post. Before medical school I was a heavy binge eater and I have had many days like that. Your posts really also help me to further understand what many of my patients go through when they fall off their weight loss track. Keep up the great work with your articles and please stop by my health blog sometime. The web address is http://healthy-nutrition-facts.blogspot.com/.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Miles,

So good to hear you've pulled through your funk, too! I have heard of Interval training, in fact I have an online personal trainer who tells me I'll burn more fat doing intervals, but had to get a new battery for my heart rate monitor. Have that now and so next month plan to get back to intervals.

I'm hanging in there with my eating even with a mega work load, and a friend in ICU. Weather is cold here, but not too cold to walk outside. I love the outdoors!

Donna

6:28 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Davon,

I did stop by your blog and it looks like one I'll be back to. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.

Donna

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home