Wednesday, January 06, 2010

21 Day Challenge: Day 6

Here is is already day 6 in the January 21 Day Challenge. I'm amazed how fast time flies. When I step back and look at it, it also becomes clear why I've gained weight in these past years. When I walked through life with the "I'll start to do something about my weight tomorrow" mindset, one day blended into the next and the only thing I was doing about my weight was adding to it.

Losing weight is a process. One day of healthy eating and exercise is just that one day. When we learn to string them together, it can be called a lifestyle. That's my overall goal for this year. To develop the habit of a healthy lifestyle. Saying that, today I'd like to talk about excuses.

Excuses are the reasons we come up with for why we don't eat healthy and/or don't exercise. Believe me, I'm a writer, I can come up with some creative reasons for why not to eat right and probably even more excuses for why I didn't exercise. That's one of the reasons I'm a member of the No Excuses Workout System. I think many of our excuses are a result of our busy lives...or at least that's what we blame it on. But think about it. Are we really so busy as to have no time for ourselves? For our health? If we are, then that needs to change.

My life as a writer and editor is busier than ever. I have another book coming this year which is in editing (which takes time), the sequel to Beyond the Fifth Gate which 3/4 written and is supposed to be finished soon, editing a non-fiction book for epress-online, and a host of articles to write and more. I think I work more hours now than ever, but this 21 Day Challenge, I've made exercise and fitness, in general, a priority. I set an appointment to exercise and so far I've made them. Even in below freezing weather, I've walked 9 miles so far this week! That's progress. Tomorrow I'll step on the scale and see if I've met my goal of losing one pound a week!


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Miles said...

Hey Donna,
That is wonderful that youve found time for yourself and am making your health a priority. Sounds like you are doing great on the excercise as well, keep it up. As far as the excuses go that is so true you can always find a reason not to excercise or eat right. And for the most part peolpe around you will be enablers and say well one fattening meal wont hurt you or you can skip excercise today, but then before you know it it's 1 or 2 weeks later and youre still eating unhealthy and not excercising again. It just snowballs out of control but this is something we both know from experience. Im glad the holidays are over, I love the holidays my family is very close and we enjoy the time together but its nice to get back into the routine and relax. My mom and dad leave for Arizona in a week so Im a little jealous considering we have 8 inches of snow and it is supposed to be below zero the next few days. Im sure they will be enjoying 80 degree weather out by Pheonix. They are retired and they should go to Arizona for the winter they dont need to be here freezing and miserable. Anyway Im rambling here so I will go for now keep up the great work, together we will be healthy.
Take care,
Miles

9:08 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Miles,

It's cold here, too. I moved south to get away from the cold and for the most part it works. We might even see snow today, but at least it is less windy so when I go for my walk it should feel so bitter. You know how that wind chill makes it worse.

The fact that I still exercised even with this cold weather is a miracle. But like you said, make an excuse and the next thing I know it would be March!

I'm glad to get back to a routine, too. It helps me stay on target.

Donna

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home