Monday, January 04, 2010

21 Day Challenge: Day 4


I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but here it is COLD. It didn't get above freezing today. That's just about enough to make me reconsider going for my 3 mile walk...almost. Having this challenge before gave me that little extra push to get out there. Once I get moving it's okay. I'm told I look like an umfa loompa, but I don't care. I rather be warm than fashionable.

If you look back at Day 1 of the challenge, you'll see that my goal is to exercise 3-5 days a week. I set it that way because it is attainable. It leaves room for life's unexpected road bumps. My ultimate goal is to walk for an hour 5 days a week. When I set the goal, I left myself some wiggle room.

Today I had the grandkids join me on the walk. They are almost as tall as I am these days, and one of them was raring to go and the other was complaining before we made it up the first hill. It's a great opportunity to share the discipline. Today, for most kids, there is no walking to catch the bus...or walking to the store...or walking in general. It's one of the reasons more than 50 percent of our society is considered obese. In the StarTrek movie, Insurrection, one of the characters says, "When you create a machine to do the work of a man, you take away from the man." That is so true of our health in many ways. I'm trying to watch for opportunities to expend energy even in the little things I do during the day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home