Friday, April 25, 2008

I Need Inspirational Fertilizer


Sorry I've been absent. Between the garden and that Monday deadline I've been working hard. Even with that I've gotten some exercise in, but my eating is reflecting my old eat-when-you're-stressed habits. Each morning I start out with great intentions, but by 10:00 or so, I'm feeding my emotions. It's enough to drive me mad. One of the fruits of the Spirit is self control and I'm certainly not exhibiting it one iota.

That makes me think of Jesus' parable about the fig tree that wasn't producing fruit!

"And he said to the vineyard-keeper, 'Behold, for three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?' "And he answered and said to him, 'Let it alone, sir, for this year too, until I dig around it and put in fertilizer; and if it bears fruit next year, {fine;} but if not, cut it down.' "

Maybe what I need is some fertilizer, something to motivate me. That was one thing I really appreciated about the Prism Diet. It provided devotionals each day plus a small group meeting once a week. You all are my group, but I need to find something that keeps me inspired. That's what I need to counteract the stress. If any of you have ideas or suggestions, let me know.






2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accidently happened upon something that has helped me circumvent "stress eating." Like you, it often happened when I was working at the computer.

One day during an especially stressful time working with a document, in frustration I grabbed my coat and walked around the block. (Our blocks are big--about a mile completely around.)

It only took me about 20 minutes, and I didn't feel like eating when I got back home. So now, if I feel stress building, I do something physical. Somehow, that short-circuits the urge.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Nadene,

I've had a lot of people offer ideas in various forums, and I like the idea of getting up to do something physical. I don't need to wait until I have time.

Author T.J. Glenn says that while he's writing he gets up once an hour and does some exercise. I might just try that route.

Although going for a walk really is inspirational for me. I sort out many of my plot problems and get to know my characters better when I do!

Donna

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home