Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tips to Stay on Your Diet for Halloween


With Halloween a little more than a month away, now is the time to make your plan to help you through that time when extra sweets may tempt you to forgo your goals to eat healthier and/or lose weight. For me it isn't much of an issue. We haven't had trick-or-treaters grace our front porch in years and I've quit buying candy under the pretense that we MIGHT have a child or two plunge their candy sack my direction. Just in case someone might think to trick-or-treat in our neighborhood, we have started a new tradition--we go out for dinner.

But for those who know they will have those little goblins, princesses and other costumed kiddies ringing their doorbell here are a few tips:

Tips to Stay on Your Diet for Halloween

*Put leftover candy in a hard-to-get-to place
*Wrap it in your swimming suit
*Place sugarfree gum on top to provide an alternative at the time of temptation

Another idea, buy low-calorie sugar-free treats when you buy your Halloween candy so you have another option. Other possible treats to have on hand could be:

*fresh berries
*sugar free popsicles
*sugar free jello, or pudding
*apples
*Crystal Light
*Swiss Miss Sugar Free Hot Chocolate

You get the idea. We have time between now and October 31st. Let's make a plan. I'd love to hear any other ideas people have out there to help avoid the Halloween candy pitfall.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Great tips Donna. I especially like the one about wrapping the candy in your swimsuit. Unfortunately, right now my swimsuit could hold a lot of candy! LOL

Roberta

9:10 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Yeah, mine too. But we're heading in the right direction.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know where my swimsuit is. I think I hid it under the basement stair. :)
I guess duct taping my lips together doesn't count as a helpful hint?
Hmm...well, maybe I could buy the little candies and put them into ziploc bags so I don't smell them in the dish or put the bowl on the porch and trust the little beggars not to hog it all.
HEY< maybe I ought to give out the candy I don't like! Then again, I don't want to my house to be hit next year on mischief night because the kids remember my terrible candy.

Great tips, Donna. I'm going to try them.

Raven

7:06 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Raven

Duct taping your lips together gives the cliche "rip your lips off" a whole new meaning...OUCH! LOL

I use to do the opposite, give out the candy that I do like so any leftovers are the candies that I don't like. LOL

Roberta

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't buy until the very last minute--for good reason. I can't go down the Halloween candy aisle. All of those marshmellow ghosts and fun size M and M's are calling my name.
When I do buy, I do exactly what Raven mentioned--I make sure to get the stuff I hate. You know those funny marshmellow bananas that are so rubbery? I get those--or tootsy roll pops. I love chocolate--but only in the pure form--so I give out chocolate that has stuff in it like raisins, or nougat or something. Then I won't eat it.
My neighbor gives out little bottles of juice--probably kool-aid. She says the kids like 'em. She never touches them.
I would give out pennies the way folks used to do. But you'd have to give out a whole roll for the kid to get anything!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

I have to tell you this story. A friend of mind duct taped her mouth as a joke for her husband's birthday present and it DID rip the skin off her lips!

Donna

5:22 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Christine,

It's nice to meet another person who hears those voices in the candy aisle. I'm afraid I hear even more voices than you, because I like chocolate in its pure form, with raisins, nuts...crispy things...oh wait, let's not talk about that. I'm not eating chocolate for now. LOL

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Hope you join us again.

Donna

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Christine,

I used to do the lollipop thingee. Put colorful pops in ziplock bags and tie them with an orange ribbon. Then my mother made asked me how I could give out lollies when I almost choked to death on one when I was eight.
Yeah, I'm THAT kid you read about, the one who shoved a lolly in her mouth and went gallumping around the living room. I fell, of course. Landed face first on the floor and the lolly got jammed so far down my throat only a littly tip of the white stick was visible.
My mom sat on my chest and got it out with a pair of needle pliers.
Yuck. Thanks for reminding me,mom.

No more lollies for anyone!

Raven

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home