Stick-to-it-iveness and Mood Swings
Yesterday I timed myself for two miles. I ran some and walked some. In fact, I tried to run MORE to get a better time. Heat rising from the asphalt met the sun beating down and me and I melted up the stairs when I got home. My time for two miles 28:19. 28:19! My stopwatch must be broken.
That time showed me how out of shape I really am, and in a way it bummed me out. It is so much easier to live in my make-believe world where I'm in shape. However, the reality is that I'm not. When that reality clashes with my inner image it sets the mood pendulum swinging and in times past would send me looking for a bag of chips or a cookie to feel better. But guess what? I did have the mood swing and I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF CHIPS! Now that is a huge praise for me!
I feel the lingering effects of that downer from yesterday, but I still have my appointment set to exercise this afternoon. My schedule is mega full of things to take care of between writing and the garden. I put up about five more quarts of tomatoes yesterday and more green beans too.
For my readers, I have a question. Do you have any suggestions of things to do when you're feeling a little down that don't include eating?
Oh and one more thing, if you want to learn more about me, I'm featured over at The Fearless Blog: Seeking Courage and Inspiration. Have a look see and leave a comment.



6 Comments:
Yay Donna! You didn't even think about those chips. That shows that you are changing your mind set. That's a big step. Sometimes we just have to pace ourselves to make it up the mood swing hills.
When I feel a bit down, I picture myself walking up a mountain, putting one foot in front of the other with God at the top encouraging me. Another thing I do is self talk, "Okay, you can be as down as you want for 10 minutes. Ready go!" In my mind, I catastrophize whatever the situation or problem is to the point where it is totally ridiculous.It helps me to put things in perspective and realize that things aren't that bad. After 10 minutes is up, I pick myself back up and get on with my day. Or I pick up my journal and rush-write until I get it out of my system. This can also yield solutions and great writing material. Sometimes just going out and walking in the garden smelling the proverbial roses helps too! LOL.
Wonderful profile, you deserve to be featured!
BTW I kept my water exercise appointment yesterday and plan on keeping it today too.
Awww I wish your cheerleader would have gotten in here earlier to give you some motivation and a pick-me-up. I do aplogize.
Congrats on not reaching for that chip (there's that congrats again) lol
Now you need to TOSS THE STOP WATCH! I always use my handy dandy digital watch and I walk and walk and peek at it when I'm pooped. If it says I've only walked for fifteen minutes, well dagnammit, I walk for fifteen more! Timing yourself is like the scale, they are there wanting to deter you.
Try it just one day. No stop watch!
And another thing...I am one moody woman who can relate, so what do I do to relax? Besides locking myself in the bathroom. I fill the tub up, get wonderful scented candles, light them and plunge in the water! I Think of absolutely nothing. The clouds and trees and how the wind feels blowing in my hair, how rain feels on my face...all of those soothing things. If one thought (negative) tries to seep in, I brush it away immediately or should I say, I let the WIND carry it away, AWAY from me.
After the bath, you will definitely feel energized and revitalized, feeling as if you can face the world and tackle ANYTHING!
I have tons of positive motivators so you try this one, and if it doesn't work, I'll be back in tomorrow to tell you another!
You keep at it Donna, I'm behind you all the way!!!!!
Joni :-D
Hi Roberta,
Thanks for the tips on how you deal with mood. I'm feeling better today. Also thanks for your kind words about the feature. The gal who posted it is a college teacher and is going to have the school order my books for the school library!
Donna
Hi Joni,
You're right about the stop watch, but since I'm training to run a 5K, I need to use it. That was a baseline time, not something I'll be doing all the time. I use it for my intervals too. Run for 2 minutes, walk for two. It pushes me to run when I don't feel like it. On the bright side, I look forward to the days when all I have to do is walk. :)
Donna
Tomorrow is another day and a new chance to do things right. I like that kind of thinking. To relax? Hmm...I play with my pups out in the yard. Throw the ball and act all impressed when it comes back slimy with spit. Dogs are good for the soul. They are always laughing at you. It's good to keep company with good natured creatures. It rubs off.
Today, I was exercising (push ups) and Abend, my black german shepherd, came over and sat on my back. I shooed her away and she came back and dropped a kong toy on my head. Finally, when she saw I wouldn't be distracted, she plopped down beside me and showed her belly. That was funny. I was doing leg lifts at the time.
See...a good perspective always helps.
Raven
How funny, Raven. I've exercised with birds on me. They think it is a game to hold on and not flutter to the floor. But it sounds like our dog was trying to do leg lifts with you. Now that's support. LOL
Donna
Post a Comment
<< Home