Monday, July 14, 2008

Today's Plan Can Change the Rest of Your Life


It's a new week and a great time to make your healthy living plans for the week. What do you have in mind? If you don't have a plan, then you are probably doomed to reach that goal. For myself, I've decided to count calories this week just to make myself aware of what I'm actually taking in. It's so easy to justify what I'm putting in my mouth, but I know that I can even overeat on healthy foods, and if I want to lose this weight, I have to eat less calories than I burn.

I'm more motivated to lose now, since I plan to run a 5K in September. Now let me make this clear. I can't run for a block right now, so this is really a challenge. Last week I exercised 5 days and plan to do the same this week. Today's plan is to try and build some endurance. I'm going to warm up a little and then start to jog--for as long as I can. I'm going to time it rather than measure it in distance right now because that's easier. It will give me a baseline. I did some interval training last week where I ran (really should say jogged) for 2 minutes, walked 2 minutes and so on for about a mile. I'll be doing that again tomorrow.

If you're tired of talking about losing weight and ready to actually do it, make a plan. Today's the day! It can change the rest of your life.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Roberta said...

Hi Donna
When my DH asked what I wanted for my B-day I said a large outdoor clock. He looked at me funny, but there is a method to my madness. I had him hang it by the pool where I can see it to time my laps. So my plan today is similar to yours in that I'm going to do a test swim to set my baseline on how long I can swim laps.

My other plan for today is to start eating to control IBS and log what I eat and how it effects me.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Roberta,

Keeping a food diary is an excellent way to determine which foods to eat and which ones to avoid.

I'll look forward to hearing how your exercise went today. I did well, but boy are my legs tired tonight! But it is a good tired.

Donna

6:43 PM  
Blogger joni said...

Woohoo!!
I'm glad to see you ladies pumping more than your muses out there! :-)

Another hint in watching your daily intake? Cutting out the carbs! It helps extremely well with the diabetes 2 diet. And I thought, hey it can help me too!

Pastas, breads, all the good stuff. Cut it out!

My mother is TRYING new ways to help her along with her type 2 diabetes and wheat bread, no grease, less fatty foods is helping.

Little does she know it also helps from ADDING pounds on her body.

Like I've said before I'm not really a diet conscious person, but as I get older I NEED to be aware of what is going into my body. Health is just as important as everyday exercise.

Watching what you eat is exercise alone! It can be tough work! lol

Keep it up and best of luck!
Joni

8:36 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Joni,

I think I'll dub you our LW (losing weight) cheerleader! Just what I needed today!

Donna

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thirty years ago, my dad used to shake his head at the new diets coming out. He calls those who come up with themed diets tricksters. From the very beginning he claimed that dieting was easy: You simple eat less calories, period.
A food diary is a great tool. It helps to keep track of all the food you put in your mouth. As you pointed out, eating too much food, healthy or not, is bad.
The trick is to control the amount you eat while exercising your body.

BTW,I'm getting tons of exercise this week emptying my basement. I'm on trip #14 to the dump. Talk about loosing weight!

How the heck did I ever collect so much junk?

Raven

4:14 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Raven,

I actually had a huge closet when I lived in Florida and it was stuffed. The thought of dealing with it overwhelmed me and then when Hurricane Charley hit I had 14 people in my house and guess where we had to go! How embarrassing. I had to go and empty the contents into my bedroom for all those people to see!

Well, that motivated me to deal with it, but I still didn't have time. So I started dealing with one thing each day. When I had time, I did more. I journaled the experience and weight the junk (to make myself feel better). I got rid of more than 80 pounds in that endeavor.

Your dad sounds like a wise man. Today we've lost that wisdom and often go chasing after a gimmick that sounds easy but doesn't deliver lasting or healthy results.

Thanks for stopping by.

Donna

4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home