Interview with Author Karen Salmansohn - Chance to Win a Spa Vacation

Today I want to take an opportunity to share an interview with the author of Bounce Back, Karen Salmansohn. If you’re going through a tough time …with a bad break up, illness, career challenge, or even struggling with your weight due to emotional eating, you name it…this book is a truly empowering resource. Simply buy THE BOUNCE BACK BOOK before July 1st and send Karen the proof of amazon receipt to notsalmonstaff@notsalmon.com and you will be given access to a secret library on her site which will have downloadable podcasts from her BE HAPPY DAMMIT Sirius show — informative personal conversations with some of the greatest happiness and career success authors in the world, like Tom Peters, Marshall Goldsmith, Tom Rath etc.
And there's a chance to win a SPA VACATION… if you buy the book before July 1st you’re eligible to enter her BOUNCE BACK CONTEST…where she's seeking uplifting stories of glory over a tough time. First place winner receives the luxurious Fairmont Spa Vacation! And there are 19 other cool prizes, including fabulous jewelry from transformationaljewelry.com and ipod stereo equipment, yummy food like Fretzels, etc. Again, save your proof of purchase from Amazon before July 1, then write up your inspiring bounce back story — which should be between 400 to 1,200 words– and send them both to her by August 1st. The winner will be announced on Sept. 1st.” You can read more about it at the end of the interview.
Interview:
Donna: From reading your book I learned about what you call a Vortex and how it changed your life. Would you explain briefly for my readers what a Vortex is and how yours inspired the Bounce Back Book?
Karen: A few years ago I went through a series of tough setbacks -- so many challenges all at once -- I kept waiting for a Candid Camera crew to pop out from behind the planter in my living room! I was eager to understand the psychology of resiliency for my own situation -- and while researching and testing out what I was learning, it became a passion to want to share my resiliency tips with others -- and so I wrote this book. This book is a true labor of love. I like to think that these tips transcend specific problems and instead apply to any hardship, whether it be in one's love life, career life or health -- you name it.
Donna: Life can seem like a roller coaster ride at times with all the emotional highs and lows, but in your book you tell your readers not to ride a roller coaster of feelings. Can you give us a little practical insight on how this can be done?
Karen: How you feel when you are going through a difficult time depends on your culture and your personal history-in other words, your learned habitual responses. It's helpful to be aware that your past might be affecting your present feelings during tough times, triggering a roller-coaster ride of feelings you thought you left behind a long time ago.
It's important to ask yourself:
"What current feelings are familiar?"
"Can I think of any feelings from the past that this present crisis might retrigger?"
"Can I remember how I worked through it at the time?"
Even just understanding the source is a way to lessen its impact. But if you find that your roller-coaster ride is going on way longer than you're comfortable with and it's bumpier than you'd like, please consider getting professional help.
Donna: Karen, I found your book to be more practical than philosophical in practice, which I prefer. As an author, you wrote this book with purpose or goal, and I'm wondering: with all the self-help books on the market, why do you think people can benefit from yours?
Karen: My writing has been described as a combination of Deepak Chopra and Carrie Bradshaw, of Sex in the City. That's because I try to help people going through difficult, sometimes debilitating, experiences through whit, humor, and proven advice. A lot of the wisdom in The Bounce Back Book is based around psychological studies, which give these tips some "meat" and credibility. They've helped me bounce back from my vortex, so I speak from experience!
Donna: I like the fact that you include assignments to help people implement what your book is teaching. The short chapter than reminds people to get enough sleep includes insomnia busters as an assignment. Do you get such ideas from you personal life experiences or elsewhere?
Karen: I draw on a number of studies, tests, and scientific research in my book because I loved reading these on a personal. But I also elicit stories from my friends, experiences from my life, healing lessons I've learned in childhood (like assignment # 13 which is simply "Cloud Watch"). So I'd have to say that these assignments are based on a lot of sources, and that's because variety is important to me, and what works for one person may not work for another.
Donna: One of my favorite chapters dealt with repeated patterns that lead to self-sabotage. This is a cycle I recognize in my struggles to eat healthier and exercise. Do you have any words of wisdom to share with my readers here at Losing Weight from a Writer's POV in this regard?
Karen: I always try to view change as chance. After all, it's only one letter away!
When tough times sweep in and turn your life upside down, see change as a new chance to evolve—into a better job, get into better shape, etc. The trick? Remain clear in your ultimate goals, but be flexible (and realistic) about who and what can bring you these things.
Donna: The chapter on sugar blues is also a good reminder to avoid sugar when depressed. Why is this a good idea?
Karen: Real sugar creates real sugar blues. I should know-After my vortex I gained 12 pounds, which is a lot on my 5-foot 3-frame. I subconsciously figured there was safety in creating a big wad of fat between me and other lurking dangers. Soon enough, this upward weight gain created a further downward emotional spiral. I began feeling bummed about my bigger bum, which further increased my yearning to stay inside and away from people.
So here's my assignment for people struggling: During depression-prone times, cut back on obvious sugar-laden sweets like chocolate, cake, and alcoholic beverages as well as the nonobvious sugars found in high-carb items like pizza and pasta.
Donna: Do you have a favorite chapter or subject that you bring out in the book?
Karen: That's like asking me to pick a favorite child. This book has been a complete labor of love and singling out any ONE chapter/tip would be unfair, as well as impossible for me to choose!
Donna: What do you hope people will take away from your book?
Karen: My goal is to wake up sleepy minds, hearts, and spirits by spreading positive propaganda through the land. This book is a way of doing so. Just because I'm a self-help book author, doesn't mean I'm impenetrable. This book helped me bounce-back, and I sincerely hope it aids others who need the same help.
Donna: Do you have any other projects in the works or other books you'd like to mention?
Karen: I have big fat crush on Aristotle. In a way he is the world's first self help book author. He wrote about happiness way back in 327BC -- and what he says is still brilliant and relevant today. Indeed I am working on a whole book on Aristotle's philosophies on happiness.
* * *
Bounce Back Giveaway - Your Turn To Share Your Story of Glory!
Karen wants to share a special opportunity with you –
“I am excited to share some exciting news and an opportunity for you to win a free luxurious Fairmont Spa vacation! (Yes! A fabulous spa package for 3 days/2 nights for two people — and 2 personalized spa treatments for each person at Willow Stream Spa in gorgeous Fairmont Newport Beach, California. You will be indulged like never before in one of seven decadent treatment rooms appointed with oversized spa beds!)
Here’s how you can win…
For more information on Karen and her book, visit her website at http://notsalmon.com/book-detail/?bkd=bounce_back.



4 Comments:
Hi Donna
Thank you very much for hosting Karen and sharing information with your readers about the Bounce Back Book. Karen says that her book is for people who wouldn't be caught dead reading a self help book. It is packed with great information in a fun and often flip manner - there is something in the book that will benefit everyone as they deal with tough situations.
Nikki Leigh
www.virtualblogtour.blogspot.com
Sure thing. I've also posted information for writers in some of the groups where I'm active to let them know about the chance to win the spa vacation.
Donna
Hi Donna
Great job on the interview. You do such a wonderful job of bringing us new, useful and interesting information about weight loss. I've tag the links you provided and when I get a chance will check them out more thoroughly.
I like the idea of setting a specific time for exercise that was in your previous blog. Have you tried it? If so, how is it working out?
I've sort of fallen into swimming laps at the same time everyday. I used to end my "work" day by sitting down at 4 p.m. with my Hubby and talking. Now we jump in the pool and swim laps and then get out and talk. Just love retirement.LOL!
Thanks so much for keeping us encouraged, inspired and posted on losing weight.
Roberta
Hi Roberta,
We are on vacation this week and I still have some writing I must keep up with, so my exercise amounts to the walking I'm doing at museums, ball game and such things. Next week I hope to make an appointment to exercise and I'll let you know how it works for me.
Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are always encouraging for me too.
Donna
Post a Comment
<< Home