Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Why We Gain Weight After 30


Yesterday I actually got out there and did the exercise I planned to do. It's so easy to procrastinate. I start out with good intentions, but the writing life very easily consumes my entire day. There's always one more thing to get done before I exercise. But yesterday I set the exercise appointment I talked about last week. Not only that, but I had a plan. That's right, a time AND a plan.

You see, I learned about a 5K race that is going to be held in September here in my little town. It can be a walking/running race. It's been years since I did anything like that, but if I "train" for the race, it does give me a target. Something to look forward to. Plus I learned through Jonathan Roche that I can burn 1/3 more calories by adding interval training to my exercise plan. Yesterday I walked one mile to warm up and the second mile I jogged for two minutes intervals and walked for two minutes intervals until I made it back home and cooled down. Today I plan to walk for 2-3 miles depending on the weather. I have my appointment set.

With that said, I wanted to address a recent comment I received regarding metabolism. Ever wonder why following the same diet doesn't get the same results after you turned 30 or 40? And have you ever noticed how people gradually get heavier as they get older? It's because our bodies change. After the age of 30, we gradually lose muscle and muscle helps us burn calories. If your activity level and calorie intake stays the same as when you were younger, you will gain weight. It goes back to metabolism. Because you don't have as much muscle, it runs slower than it did when you were in your 20s.

So let's build some muscle! Let me know if you have any questions.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

As I've gotten older, I've had to alter my exercise program time and time again. Lately, it's taking a great deal of exercise to maintain my weight, not to mention a severe cut in calories. I've read about varying the routine, too. I added some weights to thirty minutes of treadmill twice a day.
It's okay, but I need another variation, I think. Something to add. I used to love walking, but in our neighborhood the dogs run rampant and some aren't friendly at all.
I can't do aerobics because of my joints. Any suggestions?

Ravenne

4:48 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Ravenne,

We lose muscle as we get older. Muscle burns calorie, so with less muscle we require less calories to maintain the same weight. That's one of the reasons exercise plays such an important role in maintaining or losing weight.

I learned quite a bit listening to Jonathan Roche's Blog Talk Radio Show last week. It airs on Thursdays but you can listen any time. He talked about the benefits of interval training. You can check it out here: www.BlogTalkRadio.com/NoExcusesWeightLoss

Donna

5:30 AM  
Blogger joni said...

Can I pipe in?

I must say I feared gaining weight after the birth of my son, but it slowly shredded off layer by layer.

Writing seems to want to ADD pounds on me, but my cleaning routine again peels off any pounds layer by layer.

I read somewhere that genetics plays a big role in whether you're a gainer or a loser. Did anyone see Jane Seymour years ago after the birth of her twins? She was a size 6! She chalked it up to great genes (not jeans). :-)

I was never really a weight conscious person, until someone said,"Did you put on a few pounds?" After I gave them a nice slap in the face,(kidding) I went home and exercised until I had no butt!

Anyway...your blog inspired todays blog over at One Voice. Losing Weight~The Write way. Not the physical weight discussed here, but the wordy weight we add to our writings.

Thanks for all kinds of inspiration Birdie!

Joni

7:51 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Oh Joni, I'll have to go take a peek at One Voice.

I've steadily gained weight with each decade. Back when I had my children the doctor only allowed a 15-18 pound gain for the entire pregnancy and I did as instructed.

However, over the years I know my eating habits have changed. It's so easy to snack...and I've become less active. Writing tends to be a sitting in one place occupation. However, getting out and moving around can pump new life into my writing and oxygen into my blood. Who could ask for anything more?

Donna (a.k.a. Birdie)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, sitting and writing. Definitely not good for the circulation. I've had to break and do some treadmill. Get out and walk...anything to get the metabolism going again.

I think that's one of my problems. I used to be out more. Now I spend a lot of time writing or working at the desk.

yuk.
Raven

6:04 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Same here, Raven. It easy for me to say...after this article...after I catch up my email, after these edits. I put in a full day and more, but have decided if I don't make time for exercise it just doesn't happen. So now I have an appointment and when it's time...it's time and the work is there when I'm done, but I feel a heck of a lot better.

Donna

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home