Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Excuses Not to Exercise


Last night we treated my daughter and her husband to dinner for their anniversary. Yummy Mexican food, but I ate too much. So easy to get going on those chips and salsa, and the waiter so conveniently brings more chips as they run out. However, I'm not dwelling on that. I did my two mile walk yesterday, didn't time myself. It's one of my "easy" days. Just think, a few weeks back I would never have called walking two miles my "easy" day, but now, when I don't have to compete against myself for time, it's a pleasure walking two miles. This is a good example of how perspective or POV changes how we look at things.

Our perspective can either motivate or discourage. I'm not preaching any new age, positive thinking, blah, blah, blah, but I am saying look at the bright side. Focusing on the negative will only hold you back. That's one of the things I like about the no excuses workout. It has helped me realize that the excuses I use are just that...excuses. Here's a few:

*I need new shoes -- well go out and get them and in the meantime choose exercise that doesn't require them
*It's too hot -- change the time to a cooler part of the day
*I don't have time -- turn off the TV, put down that book, stop talking on the phone, and get up and move
*My walking partner can't make -- but you can!
*I'm too tired -- well start exercising and get more energy!

Don't let excuses hold you back. Come on, make that appointment to get up and move.

4 Comments:

Blogger joni said...

I liked the excuses! But still they are not really excuses. The dog ate my homework is an excuse. lol

I need new shoes ~ Well walk around the mall for an hour non-stop, and buy yourself a pair as you leave.

It’s too hot ~ The mall is air conditioned!

I don’t have time ~ But you have time to sit, why not shop?

My walking partner can’t make it ~ Who needs a partner! Walking alone is more fun!

I’m too tired ~ Now THAT is an excuse. A fib but an excuse none the less. There are 24 hours in a day and you can’t find fifteen to thirty minutes to WALK?


Sorry you ate too much yesterday, but really you ARE entitled to splurge a little! And I’m glad you’re sticking to it and surpassing your daily goal.


I have one of those little weather-bugs on my computer too. But exercising in the air-condition works just as well I always say.:)


Keep it up…your moving along nicely! No excuses available!

Great work Donna,

Joni

4:26 PM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Joni,

I had a good day today. Just got in from picking blueberries. Pick your own is $6.00 a gallon. Makes great smoothies...one of the only ways I like them. You know they are known as the brain berry. I can use all the help I can get.

Love your take on the excuses. They really do sound silly when you step away from them. Kind of like saying I'm too full to finish my dinner...but I'll have some dessert.

Wait till you hear what I did today...well, I'll try and blog about it tomorrow. It is a big step for me, I'll have to share it with everyone.

Birdie

6:31 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Hi Donna and Joni
I got back from my 4 day vacation 3 pounds heavier. Even though I prepared for it by taking my soymilk and homemade munchies, it was still hard to keep on the IBS way of eating. I did pretty good until that pitcher of Margaritas landed on the table. LOL I did jump right back into my exercise routine and diet as soon as I got home. This diet has calmed down my digestive system and for the first time in eons I am not chained to the bathroom. Yay! I forgot what "normal" feels like. I'm still working on which foods trigger an attack and which are safe to eat. It helps motivate me when the consequences are painful and immediate. LOL!

I've kept up with my 20 minute swim exercises and am pushing myself harder for the aerobic affect. I've also added leg exercises using the water resistance.

You are doing so good with building your endurance Donna. You are right, POV can help or hinder our goals. I'm learning to put the negatives behind and move forward. Negatives are so easy to find. It's fun to find the positives in challenging situations.

I had to laugh when reading your excuses. It reminds me of talking to my teenagers and shows me how childish excuses really are! LOL

BTW Joni, the dog really did eat one of my kid's homework. Try writing a convincing note to the teacher to explain that! LOL

Keep up the excellent job Donna.

Roberta

PS: I've already dropped the extra pounds!

10:17 AM  
Blogger joni said...

Welcome back three pound heavier Roberta, :-)
I think it was the Margarita's lol (as much as we make excuses, we also NEED something or SOMEONE to blame!) In this case Roberta, it is mere 'water-weight gain' easily lost in...the water! :-)

Water exercises are FUN!

Try some push ups off the side of the wall! You'll be amazed how easy they are in the water.

My favorite water exercise is RUNNING in the water! My son and I race to the other side and back and BOY does it do a number on the legs. Try it, you'll like it.

Try Activia to get regulated on what you eat. It makes those 'unwanted visits' much more 'wanted'. ?? lol

Keep at it! Three pounds is nothing! Make no excuses why you can't and always look forward to what you CAN do! :-)

I'll be checking in again...as soon as Donna posts HER exciting news!

C'mon Donna, give us the dish! :-)

Joni

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home