Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Life is Filled with Detours


Mondays are busy for me. Not only is it the first day of the week, but I have my grandchildren for the afternoons and family for dinner. This past Monday, amid other activities, I've started to encourage my grandkids to write a story based on exercises in Pumping Your Muse. In the process, I hope to put together a handbook for homeschoolers complete with lesson plans. We'll see how it goes.

With the added teaching preparation, I decided not to walk on Monday. However, I still made an exercise appointment. This time I used one of the free no excuses workouts. I have to admit, the 15 push ups were the biggest challenge, and two days later my muscles are still complaining cheering.

Yesterday, I planned to go out at 3:00, but gray clouds rolled in and I headed out at 2:30 to bit the rain. I made it almost to the very top of the big hill, and my time for the first mile was 12:02! I almost made that 12 minute mile. However, the rain started to mist when I finished that mile, so instead of trying to complete mile two, I stayed on my street, running/walking back and forth in case lightning or heavy rains decided to chase me inside. They did. My total workout lasted only 20 minutes. The thing that thrills me is that instead of shrugging off my appointment because of rain, I made it out there. I put in 20 minutes and got my heart pumping. And I broke my record! I'm motivated to get out there again today.

Exercise needs to be part of life, and life is always filled with detours. Don't let them stop you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Detours must be the latest thing. lol. I've been wandering all over the place, trying to keep up with obligations and still find time to write. Detours can work, if you can find how they relate to your writing. I've discovered that I can still think through a story as I'm scrubbing down old containers and repacking boxes.

The storm chased me back into the basement to start sorting items for the Salvation Army.

Yawn. You go Donna. I'm (Yawn) with you all the way...really. I'll just sit under this tree for a while and keep count of your laps.

Congrats on all your wonderful success.

Raven

5:56 AM  
Blogger Donna Sundblad said...

Hi Raven,

If I don't feel like reading before falling asleep, I use the time to think through a WIP. I've currently got characters and plot playing around in my brain trying to talk me into writing a sequel of Beyond the Fifth Gate.

Nows actually a perfect time to jot down ideas because I'm going through the galleys and all the minor plots and details are fresh in my mind.

Donna

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home